Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Love is... a slight frustration

Alright kids, this is going to be a quick post. I realize that I haven't been on recently, and I have not posted anything about my new (AWESOME) job... all in due time. Right now, I am just slightly frustrated and feel like a good blog post to vent is possibly the most appropriate way to go right now. Hopefully I do not offend any body, that would be exactly opposite of what I am trying to do here. I probably should have shown this to Ty before posting it just in case I start a riot... but I don't think I will. Hopefully.
Freaking facebook, right? I have never been so tempted to delete my facebook as I am right now. In fact, I think the only time I have ever said something remotely argumentative on the book of faces is last years rivalry game... and I think everyone get's a free pass that day anyway.
However, since General Conference my facebook has been flooded with messages ranging from members disagreements with President Packers talk... to people called for him to make a public apology. They say is an old fashioned man, uneducated, bigoted, and the list goes on.
I realize that the man did take on the responsibility of speaking on a very VERY controversial topic. This topic is even controversial in my own home. Tyler and I have disagreeing opinions on the topic of homosexuality and I have truthfully found myself questioning the reasoning behind why homosexuals can't get married (separation of church and state, etc...) but because I have a firm testimony of the gospel and I respect the leaders of the church, I don't say anything because I can admit that I do not know everything about God's plan.
Boyd K. Packer is a man of God. Though I do not know him personally, I respect him as a humble servant of God who loves us and wants us to lead righteous lives so we can return to our heavenly father. As much as I do not understand why the church has the stance it does on homosexuality, my testimony and my faith come first and I stand by him and the words he spoke in his talk.
I think it is so sad and slightly ridiculous that his talk has received more attention from people calling for blood, than the pastor who threatened to burn the Qu'ran on 9/11, or the many natural disasters our world has seen just this year, or the progressive problem of world hunger, or genocide. Not only that, but the hypocrisy of people attacking President Packer for his words when he was exercising his right of free speech. It is hypocritical to fault him for doing so, when the rioters and protesters for gay marriage do that every day, while members of the church stand by and watch their religion and their prophets be attacked.
It really makes me sad. I wish people would be more tolerant on both ends. I have seen a lot of people attack the church for its stance on homosexuality and I have seen a lot of uneducated members of the church harass LGBT people. Neither of these actions is the tolerant way to handle a disagreement.
In closing, please try and focus on the entirety of President Packers talk. He stated

Some suppose that they were preset and cannot overcome what they feel are inborn tendencies toward the impure and the unnatural," he said. "Not so. Why would our Heavenly Father do that to anyone?"


2 comments:

  1. You speak my sentiments, Kat. Hypocrisy and militant behavior are the two things that drive me crazy about "special interest" groups. I have no problem with a different opinion or letting people live a lifestyle different than mine, but I DO have a problem when they tell me I'M a bigot for believing something different than them and won't join their philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you and Sare on the free speach and hypocrisy, and I agree with you on the mix of church/state...that one has been hard for me to understand, but like you said, trust the leaders and follow the faith.

    I agree probably most on the fact that this has gotten so much publicity when there are so many world issues that should be solved (all one has to do is set foot in Africa and the issues become very evident). I with the energy and strength used to argue this side or that would be used to solve a major world issue...

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete