Friday, March 19, 2010

Love is... a good book

Tyler and I went to see Shutter Island a while back. Before we went, we were talking to my parents about it. I was telling everyone that the book was pretty intense and that, in my humble opinion, the book was probably scarier than the movie was going to be.
My parents looked at me for a second and then my dad said... "you've read that book? I didn't know that. Good for you, kid."
Thanks guys.
Good news, I do know how to read. More good news? I actually love reading!
Here are some books (all of which I have read) that I recommend.

Their Eyes are Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston.
"The wind came back with triple fury, and put out the light for the last time. They sat in company with the others in other shanties, their eyes straining against crude walls and their souls asking if He meant to measure their puny might against His. They seemed to be staring at the dark, but their eyes were watching God."


Animal Farm - George Orwell
"Man is the only creature that consumes without producing. He does not give milk, he does not lay eggs, he is too weak to pull the plough, he cannot run fast enough to catch rabbits. Yet he is lord of all the animals. He sets them to work, he gives back to them the bare minimum that will prevent them from starving, and the rest he keeps for himself"



Eat, Pray, Love
"You don’t want to go cherry-picking a religion’ [a friend tells Gilbert]
Which is a sentiment I completely respect except for the fact that I totally disagree. I think you have every right to cherry-pick when it comes to moving your spirit and finding peace in God. I think you are free to search for any metaphor whatsoever which will take you across the worldly divide whenever you need to be transported or comforted… That’s me in the corner, in other words. That’s me in the spotlight. Choosing my religion"


In Cold Blood - Truman Capote
“They shared a doom against which virtue was no defense."


To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
"I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks."


Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky
If he has a conscience he will suffer for his mistake. That will be punishment-as well as the prison.


Atonement - Ian Mcewan
She returned his gaze, struck by the sense of her own transformation, and overwhelmed by the beauty in a face which a lifetime's habit had taught her to ignore.


Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same


Mans Search for Meaning - Viktor Frankl
For the meaning of life differs from man to man, from day to day and from hour to hour. What matters, therefore, is not the meaning of life in general but rather the specific meaning of a person's life at a given moment.


Anne of Green Gables
Well, I wouldnt marry anyone who was really wicked, but I think Id like it if he could be wicked and wouldnt. ...



I also like all of Jane Austen and Shakespeare.

It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves. - William Shakespeare

No comments:

Post a Comment