Friday, February 8, 2013

Love is... musings...

I contemplated if I should really write this message. Despite this being my blog, I feel like I do walk on a little bit of a line as to what I can say before I offend people. It's really not my intent, truly. I just feel like I have something to say and Tyler is sick of hearing me talk about it so... HEY! why not blog about it. Don't worry, I'll follow up with the classic "I'm mad but here's a funny video to make you feel better...", I feel like I am pretty good at those.
 If you don't know me very well.. you should probably know that I am in total support of gay marriage. I do not feel it the place of a religion to dictate who can be recognized "by law" as married or not. I feel like, even though the LDS church has tried to teach and preach the commandments of loving everyone and treating others with kindness and compassion, there is still a stigma of disgust when it comes to those who chose this lifestyle. A. It is none of our business. and B. why are you not letting these poor boys into the Boy Scouts of America?
Yes, that is what this is about. The stupid Boy Scouts. I used to make fun of Tyler for not being an Eagle scout because Mormons make it a huge "can't get your license 'till it's done" deal. Let me just say this - I am SO grateful that he isn't one. He might feel differently, but I certainly do not want myself associated with anything that so blatantly disregards the feelings and growth of others. My kids definitely aren't wasting their time with it, that's for damn sure.
I realize that the LDS church does not run the Boy Scouts. I feel like you'd be kidding yourself to say that their opinion doesn't pull a lot of weight though. I've combed through the few news articles that news stations have posted and I am just so disappointed and revolted by the fact that the LDS church applauds the actions of this clearly misguided group. "Boy Scouts of America "acted wisely in delaying its decision until all voices can be heard on this important moral issue," said Michael Purdy, spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."
Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Utah-Scouts-pleased-with-delay-on-admitting-gays-4256166.php#ixzz2KNDg79LE
The only moral issue I see here is the one of inclusion. Grow up.
The end.

Now, if we are still friends, watch this video. It will make it aaaaaallllll better. You'll forget we even had the argument.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, in part.

    As far as the issue of "gay marriage" goes, it's an issue of semantics for me. While I agree that any two consenting adults should be able to form a committed union, it is my opinion that the word "marriage" inherently connotes "between one man and one woman." I would be much happier if the government recognized any and all such commitments as "civil unions" and left "marriages" to religions. Anyone could have a civil union recognized by the government, but the churches could still limit who is eligible for a "marriage." This separation is in effect in places around the world, including Brazil and England, so I don't know why it couldn't work here. Plus, I think there may be some fear about the potential for the government to start forcing religions to recognize same-sex unions (I'm not extremely clear on the details of that, though).

    In addition, I think any "stigma" associated with living a gay lifestyle is less about the Church culture and more about the "Mormon" culture. Have you seen the new website the Church has set up (mormonsandgays.org)? It seems to me that the Church advocates for love and compassion for all men, no matter their choices. It is the misguided, opinionated, judgmental members who revile and hate, and they will be held responsible on the other side for their treatment of others.

    On the issue of the Boy Scouts: I don't understand why they won't extend privileges to young men who identify as gay. I think overall the Boy Scouts program (when executed correctly, and not "Mom forcing the boy to do it so she can say she has an Eagle Scout") can be very effective in teaching boys useful skills and habits that will help them throughout their lives. However, I don't see why those lessons should be withheld from young men who did absolutely nothing wrong. On the contrary, I think those young men are the ones who could use the support and guidance the most. Right now, I'm still planning on having my sons be a part of the Boy Scouts simply because they will learn things there that I can't teach them; I still have a few years before that decision is imminent, though.

    Overall, I don't believe that Heavenly Father wants any of His children ostracized, denied rights, or punished for their choices--at least, not by His other children. It is not my place to judge how anyone lives his or her life; I have enough to worry about with just myself. All I can do is love others and treat them the way I want to be treated, and do my best to make good choices in my own life. Everything else will be worked out on the other side.

    (Sorry about the epic-length comment on your blog. What a way to de-lurk, right?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, thanks for your comment! It always interests me to see what fellow members of the church think of this issue. I agree with most of what you said and even though there are a few things a don't see exactly the same as you, I really respect the way you presented everything. I admittedly wrote this while in the heat of my frustration and although I stand by what I said, I probably could have been less sarcastic and taken a few less jabs. Hopefully there can be a solution where both parties are satisfied with the outcome. Also, the last portion of your response was very uplifting to me so thanks for sharing!

      Delete