Friday, January 20, 2012

Love is... a bone to pick

I have a bone to pick. With the world, some friends, and some family members. Be warned before reading on in this post... I'm writing it in frustration and some anger. I've had this on my mind for quite a while and my anger has been festering within me and since this is my blog, this is where I'm going to let it out.
Please
Stop
Telling
Me
I made mistakes in my choices, when I gave birth.

Yes. I'm young, blond, and I'm not the smartest person on earth... but I am not an idiot. In fact, I'm probably more educated on this particular subject than you. And more in tune with the spirit and my body when it came to my birth, than you were.
I read all the same books you did. I researched everything and anything I could get my hands on on the internet. I spoke with more doctors about my birth than anyone I know considering I work for seven of them. I know what pitocin is. I know the risks of an epidural. Don't preach to me about how bad either of them were for my body.
You weren't in the room. You don't know how I felt or why I made the decisions I did. Without a doubt, I made the right decisions.
Am I going to be induced every time? Not if I can help it. Am I going to try and go natural? Every time I give birth, that is my main goal. Were there extenuating circumstances during my pregnancy that you don't know about? You betchya.
Please stay out of my business. Don't lecture me about my decisions when you really don't know me at all.
And if you bring it up again...

We'll be meeting out by the flagpole to sort this out once and for all.

5 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, too many people seem to think they have to give advice when we aren't seeking their advice. I certainly don't know all of the circumstances surrounding Jude's birth, however, I do know that Jude is here today, HEALTHY, because a wise mother and a skilled physician worked together to overcome a life threatening situation at the time of Jude's delivery. You are a wonderful Mom - ignore the unkind, unsolicited comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously can't believe people are actually giving you a hard time about this. It's ridiculous when people judge others, but when they butt into their own personal decisions especially about YOUR body and YOUR child, that is crossing the line. I know people say they are just looking out for YOUR best interest, but honestly they just want THEIR best interest to be correct. People are so high on themselves they find it beneficial to critique and demand action our of other peoples lives. I am sure you made the right decision for you. I know we aren't really even close anymore but I gotchya back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If there was a 'like' button for this, I'd click on it :)

    Love ya! PS - come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm shocked people feel like they can butt in and comment on people's birthing decisions. It took me three tries until I got to the natural birth I'd always planned (and it was awesome and everything I'd planned and studied so long for . . . so definitely keep trying!), then with my fourth needed a c-section for my footling breech baby. And you know what, I love all my kids the same. The traumatic, interventions-galore birthed kid; the easy, great epidural birthed kid; the 100% natural birthed kid; and my little breech stinker who made it so I had to get a c-section . . . I feel the same about all of them. I 'bonded' with them whether I held them 3 seconds after birth like my third, or 35 minutes after, like my fourth. Would I have preferred to have gone natural again this time, rather than c-section. Yep, you betcha. Would I change a thing? Nope, we did the best thing for this baby, and I feel so at peace with our birthing decisions and my c-section. Again, I can't believe people would 'lecture' you on your birthing decisions! I wish everyone would just give everyone else the benefit of the doubt -- we're all just trying to do our best for our families. Period. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are all awesome! Thank you!!! Hopefully I didn't sound too crazy in my post, but I was pretty upset and I needed some serious shoulders to lean on. Hilary- thank you SO much for your amazing point of view. We don't know each other very well but that was exactly what I needed to hear and it's awesome that you knew that.

    ReplyDelete