Thursday, January 5, 2012

Love is... a throwback

I had the craziest dream last night about... Oregon Trail. Yes, that is right. The throwback game of our youth where we would do anything to finish our Typing Tutor assignments in Mrs. Cundicks 3rd grade class. Before I tell you about my dream, you need to understand that there are 3 types of Oregon trail playing people.

Scenario 1: Jill

Jill always played it safe. She always chose to be the banker, packed up with food and supplies before heading west, took it at a steady pace, and always took the ferry.

Jill never reached Oregon before class ended.

Scenario 2: James

James played this game for one reason, and one reason only. To beat his previous high score. He played this game like a fiddle.
He was the farmer, took what he needed, went at a strenuous pace and also knew what "caulking" meant so his wagon never exploded in the water.

Scenario 3: Mitch
Mitch played this game like 90% of the boy population played the game.
He was one of those people who found out that if you hold down the arrow key and the space bar at the same time, you become a swirling vortex of destruction.

** You should note before moving on to the dream portion of my story, that I was usually Jill... and sometimes James. Never Mitch.

In my dream I was playing the game and my family consisted of a Ma, a Pa, two daughters and a son. We started our journey out west pretty good at a moderate pace with adequate rations. Soon, however, my food supply was diminished and I needed to hunt and gather. Only one problem... I had decided that since I was a vegetarian, my computer family was a well. Pretty soon, Ma died of starvation and little Bobby got dysentery. Then we came to a river and I wanted to take the ferry, but for some reason in my sadistic mind, I decided to test my luck and float across. We lost Betty. The indians came to help us by teaching us how to hunt and saved little Bobby. This, however, upset me. I continued my journey at a strenuous pace without hunting and soon I lost all the members of my family. I proceeded to go ballistic in front of all my co-workers (since apparently we were all playing this game at work) and I smashed the computer into bits. They called the cops and I was charged with murder because someone said I purposefully killed off my Oregon Trail family. I was devastated.
And then I woke up.

Maybe next time I will try Amazon Trail.

1 comment:

  1. Is Mitch related to my cousin Adam, who only went hunting on the game to see how many animals he could pile up, then be told he could only haul 30 lbs of the 10,000 lbs of meat back to the wagon train... we lost a lot of good bullets when Adam was put in charge...

    ReplyDelete