Saturday, June 5, 2010

Love is... Summer time, but the livin' isn't easy

I was all geared up to write about summer. How much I love the sun, flip flops, hiking, lakes, bodies of water in general... EVERYTHING about summer tugs at my heart strings and I have been amped for a day like today since the first leaf fell from the tree.
Today I got up, put on my favorite bikini and went straight to the pool. I scouted out the best chair so I could get ample sun coverage and made sure I was there before the kids convinced their parents that swimming was really what they wanted to do on a Saturday.
****Fast forward 5 hours****
Where am I? Laying in bed, with nothing but a soft, loose blanket covering my skin. Why?
Because I am as roasted as our Thanksgiving turkey. Not just on my shoulders... not just on my nose... oh no. Literally, everywhere. I never burn... NEVER! What went wrong? I didn't stay out all day, I planned my rotation time to perfection... I just don't get it.
Oh wait... I think I remember something.
The antibiotics that I am on make my skin sensitive to the sun. Clearly, there was a reason why I was warned by 3 different people that I should apply a generous amount of sunblock.
This is pretty embarrassing. Sometimes I get a little redness... and maybe once when I first discovered the world of fake tanning, but I never burn. Especially my legs. I haven't had a leg burn in decades.
So here I am. Slathered in aloe vera, googling home remedies for a quick sunburn cure. I can't take a bath in black tea because it will stain our tub... but they say I can use a cloth soaked in tea. Also, lavender and emu oil are supposed to work wonders. Tyler is probably going to be making a few stops on his way home from Jason's. I've already taken 800mg of ibuprofen... and I have already chopped 2 potatoes and placed them on my body (another home remedy). Any other helpful hints would be appreciated. I will try anything... because right now all I am doing is laying in bed, covered in potatoes slices... and I am red. And I hate the color red.

4 comments:

  1. Dude that sucks! I'm sorry! I always fry. And this may sound gross, but sadly it kinda works. Egg whites. Get like a dozen eggs, crack them, but take the yolks out. Whip the whites til they're nice and fluffy, and then lather yourself up. Keep it on til it dries (or til you can't stand it anymore) and then wash off. If you ask my father, this is the ONLY thing that works. And I've yet to admit to him that it really does work, just cuz I get totally grossed out every time. Yet, I still continue to use this home remedy, cuz it works. Good luck, you roasted lobster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch - make sure you are taking aspirin or Tylenol every 4 hours on a full stomach. Apply a compress from a dish towel soaked in milk on the sunburn. Put the compress on for 20 minutes, rinse out the dish towel, resoak the dish towel in milk and then apply again. (You might want to get into an empty tub with a pillow it is kind of messy but really works.) You are going to want to shower at the end so you don't smell like sour milk. Other medications can also make your skin sensitive to the sun. Be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat, I'm so sorry! I don't have any suggestions other than to keep on with the aloe vera, and put on a Jane Austen movie marathon to make the time pass faster until your skin heals up. This would be a great time to start up on "Wives and Daughters".... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. this is sarah, NOT jamo. (I'm sure you figured that out already though). I need to start checking my profile before I post comments. :)

    ReplyDelete